Who We Are - Our History

 

Sun Ministries was founded in March of 2006 by Dr. Terry M. Goodwin and his wife Suzette. They felt there was a need to unite people to serve the poor. This is still the mission today. In 2008, a small group was gathered together to learn about fulfilling the Great Comission. At this training many in attendance felt a call to own and live Isaiah chapter 61. Sun Ministries' board approved this direction and Sun Ministries set its sights on the inner city of North St. Louis. In 2009, the leadership started bringing people to the Hyde Park neighborhood to pick up trash, walk and pray in the area. They moved the ministry to North St. Louis in May of 2010 after the Tim Helbling Family donated the property located at 1515 Newhouse Ave. This became the headquarters and the beginning of the Isaiah 61 Initiative.

 

As we began the work of the Isaiah 61 Initiative, we began developing a model of ministry called Pastoring the Community, inspired by missionary work being done in Rwanda and Ethiopia. We have been involved in numerous community projects, engaged a variety of partners, and started stabilizing our woodshop and sewing center. Over time, we opened our cafe, maintenance services, Second hand store and lawn service.

 

 

 

 

 

 

  

 

 

 

 

 

 

  

Our Vision     Our Current Status